Wisconsin Craft Biennial 2023
March 24 - May 27, 2023
The Center for the Visual Arts
Caroline S. Mark Gallery
427 N. 4th Street
Wausau, WI 54403
Wisconsin Craft is proud to announce our 2023 Members’ Biennial Exhibition “Regeneration”
The Center for the Visual Arts (CVA) is one of the leading cultural institutions in Central Wisconsin, with four professional gallery spaces featuring eighteen exhibits annually, a reputable school of art and a juried gallery shop. The CVA was founded and incorporated in l982 by a group of community members and artists who wanted to promote creativity and enhance the education and appreciation of the visual arts in Wausau.
WI Craft is excited to have this opportunity for our members to show their work to a wider audience in the Central and Northern regions of WI.
The theme of “Regeneration” was chosen to highlight the regeneration of the oldest arts organization in the state as WI Craft. Additionally, the changes in our members’ personal and professional lives over the last several years have led to renewed sense of purpose and/or new directions in many of their individual art practices. Artists are encouraged to submit artwork that reflects ways in which they have regenerated their work or practices since our last Biennial in 2020.
Opening Celebration: Friday, March 31 from 5pm - 7pm at the CVA.
WI Craft is planning an afternoon social media workshop that same day at the CVA (tentatively scheduled for 1pm) and our Annual Membership meeting at 4:00 pm. We are looking to reserve a block of rooms in the Wausau area for Artists wishing to stay the night.
Awards: First, Second and Third Place cash awards will be announced at the opening, along with Honorable Mention awards chosen at the judge’s discretion.
Exhibition is open to current WI Craft members as of the date of application.
Application Details: Online applications for the exhibition will go live on September 1, 2022 and a link to the application page will be available on WisconsinCraft.org.
· Application Deadline: January 31, 2023
· Jury Results Available: February 15, 2023
· Application Fee: $30 for up to three entries. Only work juried from the entry process can be shown in the Exhibition, no substitutions will be allowed after acceptance. Art must NOT have been shown before in a WDCC, WI Craft or CVA Exhibition.
Delivery: Work for the exhibition must be delivered to or shipped for arrival at the CVA March 15-18 or March 20th. Shipped work should include a pre-paid return label. Work must be picked up on May 30/31, or artists may prearrange return shipping of their artwork.
· All work must arrive ready for hanging or installation. Gallery uses a track system for 2-D artwork. Artwork should be able to hang from a wire, picture rings or other compatible hanging methods. Single nail clips or saw tooth hangers are NOT acceptable. Artwork received without appropriate hanging wire or D-rings will not be included in the exhibition. Check with the curator if unsure.
· If a covering is required such as glass, the CVA strongly prefers plexiglass.
· Work left at the CVA 30 days after the exhibit ends or where no return shipping arrangements have been made will become the property of the CVA.
Sales and Commissions: The artist will receive 50% of the selling price.
Liability: All works selected for the exhibit will be insured by the CVA against damage and threat while in the care of the gallery. The artist is responsible for insuring work while it is in transit to and from the exhibit. All work must remain in the gallery for the entirety of the show. The CVA cannot insure any artwork for an amount in excess of 60% of its retail value to a maximum of $10,000. Any irregularities must be reported within 30 days of the return of the artwork.
The CVA or WI Craft shall not be liable for failure to appear or display in the event that such failure is caused by or due to the physical disability of the Artist or acts or regulations of public authorities, labor difficulties, civil tumult, strike, epidemic, interruption or delay of transportation service, or any other cause beyond the control of the involved parties.